U Learning is our Preschool, Pre-K and Kindergarten classroom program for children ages 3 to 5. We offer full-time and part-time classes as well as drop-in care. All children enrolled in the U Learning program receive the following services and amenities (listed below).
U Learning Services
Full and Part-Time Classrooms
- Preschool, Pre-K, and Kindergarten classroom program for children ages 3-6 yrs old.
- Full-time and part-time tuition offered.
- For U Learning enrolled families outside of their child’s normal classroom schedule, when space is available.
Child and Family Social Work
- On-site and off-site resource for The U School staff and families to assist with social, emotional, and family issues that have an impact on a child’s learning experience.
- Serves as an advocate and liaison to help enrolled families access resources and assistance where needed.
- Supports cross-agency service coordination.
U Learning Amenities
Child Learning Plan and Portfolio
- Child friendly assessments gathered with input from The U School staff, child, and family designed to guide each child’s development.
- A collection of development milestones and memories.
Family and Staff Building Sessions
- Regular gatherings (i.e. meetings, games, activities, meals, community outings) designed to help build a strong relationship and connection between home and school.
- Committed to local and organic foods as often as possible.
- Enrichment opportunities such as family art projects, activities, classes, workshops, and community play events.
- Led by The U School staff and members of our community partner network.
U Learning Classroom Schedule
7:30 – 9:30 Welcome Activities & Active Indoor Play (AM snack is available)
9:30 – 9:45 Group Meeting
9:45 – 10:30 Learning Groups & Centers
10:30 – 10:45 Mid-Morning Snack
10:45-11:15 Learning Groups & Centers
11:15 – 12:00 Active Outdoor/Indoor play
12:00 – 1:15 Lunch (Active outdoor/indoor play after lunch)
1:15 – 2:00 Rest Time
2:00 – 3:00 Rest Time, Learning Groups & Centers
3:00 – 3:15 Snack
3:15 – 4:00 Active Outdoor/Indoor Play
4:00 – 4:15 Group Meeting
4:15 – 5:00 Learning Groups & Centers
5:00- 5:30 Clean Up & Closing Activities
Active Play – Children have access to all that is available in the room, including art materials, dramatic play materials, science materials, games, blocks, manipulatives, puzzles, books, dolls, toys, outdoor equipment, etc. The children follow their own interests and express ideas through their imagination and creativity. This open-ended time provides the opportunity for children to play independently or interact socially with one another.
Group Meeting – Children and staff meet together to engage in school related learning discussions.
Learning Groups & Centers – During this time children follow their interests and participate in facilitated learning opportunities, both independently as well as cooperatively. Learning Centers include art, science, engineering, dramatic play, music, movement, games, writing, and multi-media (books & technology experiences).
Rest Time – Rest time is required by DHS for children who are on site for 5 or more continuous hours. For children who are not resting and for those who rest for short periods learning centers will be accessible.
*Further details can be found in our 2017-18 U LEARNING FAMILY HANDBOOK.
U Family is our guidance and support program for families with children in early childhood. We offer group and private classes for parents as well as parent-child playgroups facilitated by the U School staff and our network of expert community partners.
Current & Upcoming U Family Programming:
- Mindful Parents & Educators introduces a comprehensive and rigorous system of attentional training. The goal of MP&E is to help grown-ups become more adept at staying in the moment, especially when in the presence of children (who learn a lot from the subtleties about us). There are two bottom lines: 1: A solid mindfulness practice makes us happier. 2: When we are happier, our children tend to be happier and healthier too.
- U Photo is a series of local Saturday morning adventures for families with U School Teacher & Photographer, Ellen. Children will gain experience looking through the viewfinder of a camera, not the screen, while taking pictures on a unique adventure with their families. Along the way, Ellen, will capture high quality images of the family while on their adventure. The child gets a deep photographic experience and the parents receive a quality photoshoot for their family.
- U Move is a series of workshops, with Uniquely Moved instructor Beth Mount, that facilitate adults exploring and improving their natural human movements as a way to create more connection between themselves and children, and to empower them to be movement leaders for their families. Beth is a Restorative Exercise Specialist certified by Nutritious Movement.
- The Ubuntu Squad represents a group of U School community members working together, on a team, towards a common goal.
- Our next Ubuntu Squad: 2018 Spring/Summer Kickball!
- Previous Ubuntu Squads:
- A men’s basketball team that played in the 2017-18 Fall/Winter AAPS Rec & Ed league.
U Play is a play-lab environment that is intentionally designed for children ages 3-5 to experiment with their creativity, imagination, and inquiry.
Experience a U Play Pop-Up, a mobile play-lab experience that “pops up” around the Ann Arbor area.
- Kinetic & Collective Mural Art on February 17, 2018
- Movement at Bandemer Park on September 23, 2017
- Maker Works on February 7, 2015
- Allen Creek Preschool on August 23, 2014
- Sic Transit Cycles at Wheeler Park on July 19, 2014
- Ann Arbor Art Center on May 10, 2014
- Summers-Knoll School on March 15, 2014