Inspired by an innately profound South African philosophy of humanism called “Ubuntu”, a new-model preschool is born, which captures the essence of local community found in Ann Arbor, MI.
The U School applies this philosophy to grow individuality and teamwork in children during their most powerful developmental years of life. Embedding Ubuntu practices into our unique “U School Approach” naturally guides children and their families to establish Ubuntu practices at school, at home, and in their community. The result benefits the child, the family, our community, and our world.
At the U School we celebrate the strengths of the individual child, the family, our school community, and the people and resources of the greater Ann Arbor area. We aim to reinforce and enhance our connection to all of those things.
Led by Ryan Brown, The U School provides families with a unique experience in early childhood education that is easily distinguishable in Ann Arbor, and showcases the best of our community.
The U School offers preschool and pre-kindergarten classroom programs for children ages 3 to 5. Both full-time and part-time classes as well as drop-in care are available.
For detailed information see Programs.
- U Philosophy of Learning
- Ubuntu Plans for PEACE & Conflict
- Curriculum Delivery
- U School Lexicon
U School Staff
- Extensive early childhood experience combined with degrees and certifications
- Onsite Child and Family Support Coordinator
- “Specials” Teachers (current offerings)
- Art Studio
- Committed to local and organic foods as often as possible
- Snack menus are curated to be inclusive to just about all. All snacks served at the U School are no nut, no tree nut, vegan, and gluten free.
Ecofriendly Community Practices
- The U School is an Environmental Excellence Partner as part of the Washtenaw County Community Partners for Clean Streams and Waste Knot program.
- The excitement is in the details!
If you have any other questions that are not answered on the website, please don’t hesitate to reach out and contact us!